Sleep is everything. You spend 33% of your life sleeping. That comes to roughly 25 years of sleep. Do you know if your sleep is aging you or if your sleep is keeping you youthful?
Improving Your Sleep Slows Aging
Read on to find out…
TL;DR Here is a short video of this blog post in case you don’t have the time to read it.
“I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know?”
~ Ernest Hemingway
Here are unique tips that will help improve your sleep:
• Position: Sleep on your back. While it may be hard to train your body at first, your body quickly adapts to the new position.
Sleeping on your back not only reduces facial wrinkles but it helps keep your spine straight and long. This helps prevent the shrinking factor that happens when you age.
• Go Naked: Sleeping naked has numerous health benefits: It helps decrease cortisol, increase growth hormone and balance melatonin, all of which help promote healthy sleep patterns and reduce anxiety, stress and food cravings.
• Be Cold: Studies have shown sleeping in a colder room decreases your risk of Metabolic Illnesses. Studies have shown that sleeping in a room that's consistently 66 degrees F helps you burn calories while awake.
It also helps increase "brown" or good fat in the body, which lowers the risk of metabolic diseases like diabetes.
Digestion and Sleep Don’t Mix
• Don’t Snack: You don't want to sleep with a too full or too empty stomach. Digestion interferes with sleep and will slow some of the regeneration processes that happen during the night.
If you must snack before bed, have a banana. Bananas are a great natural source of melatonin, the sleep hormone, as well as tryptophan.
• No SM in Bed: Avoid bringing your phone to bed. Most people that wake up tired have been on their phone, tablet or computer after 7 pm.
Blue light from your phone or computer will disrupt your normal sleep cycles and lead to more stress on your mind and body.
You can read more about why blue light is harmful here. Overall, reduce the amount of electronics near you while you sleep.
• Sleep When Upset: Stress and overwhelm tends to pack on with lack of sleep. Because low quality sleep releases stress hormones, you can easily be stuck in a vicious cycle of poor sleep and stress that becomes worse with time.
Try hypnotherapy or even sleep music if you have trouble sleeping while stressed.
Maximize your sleep with these tips
Everyone has something that holds him or her back in life. It’s important to get your brain under control to handle whatever life throws at you.