Have you ever wondered how to be a morning person? I bet if you have a regular 9-5 job you have. You may feel like a zombie in the morning, but you still have to show up and do your best.
TL;DR Here is a short video of this blog post, “Bio Hack Your Mind | How To Be A Morning Person In 5 Easy Steps” in case you don’t want to read it.
Are mornings difficult? Blame your genes
Sleep is a big reason why people feel either groggy or refreshed, but it’s not the only factor. Dr. Joseph Takahashi, a neuroscience professor at the Howard Hughes Medical Institute at UT Southwestern Medical Center, believes there is a genetic factor too.
Dr. Takahashi says, “Humans show incredibly wide variation in sleep need and in preferred wake-up time and bedtime.”
Being a natural morning person may be in your genes. If this isn’t in your genes, there are ways to become more of a morning person - no matter what your genetics say.
5 ways to make mornings less groggy
• Sleep with your blinds or curtains open. If you can’t, make sure you expose yourself to bright light as soon as you wake. Instead of grabbing for your phone to check messages, open the blinds and soak up the sun.
You can also purchase a natural lamp that mimics daylight as a second best option.
• Don't sleep with electronics. In fact, turn them off one hour before going to bed. The blue light from your phone will decrease the amount of melatonin (sleep hormone) and make it harder to get restful sleep. It can also make it much harder to be alert first thing in the morning.
• Wake up early on the weekend. I know. I can hear you groan from here. When you sleep in on the weekends but wake up early during the week, your biological clock becomes confused. This also leads to the groggy, “I hate mornings” feeling.
Make a habit of going to bed and waking up around the same time, no matter what day of the week it is.
• Shake up your breakfast. Some foods that are heavy in sugar or refined carbs will keep you dragging. Instead of bagels and cream cheese, opt for as much protein that you can get.
You don’t want to eat carbs with protein.
Eat an omelet with loads of bacon, and coffee with unsweetened whipping cream but skip carbs.
Or make yourself a smoothie and pack in the fresh fruit and greens, but avoid traditional protein sources or adding sugar. This will keep you feeling light on your toes and your mind ready to work.
• Hack your brain. Bio hacking is a definite trend that is just starting to become popular. You can hack your body and your mind to preform the way you want it to.
One way to biohack YOU is to use hypnosis. Programming your mind before you go to sleep - to not only sleep soundly but to wake up refreshed - is a powerful technique used by many people.
Program your mind
Like anything, you have to create a habit out of doing self hypnosis every night before you feel the full benefits.Put an end to zombie mornings with easy to use hypnosis.
Professional hypnotherapy offers you the fast track to waking up refreshed and ready to start your day.