“Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will.”
- The power of your brain/mind is unlimited but accessing that power is not always easy. Hypnosis bridges that gap. Whatever you visualize in hypnosis becomes the blueprint for automatic change in behavior. Following are just a few examples.
1. A study done at the Menninger Foundation in 1970 showed that certain meditators could regulate their heartbeats, slowing them down until they flat-lined or speeding them up. No lasting effect was noted. It has also been demonstrated that meditators can raise or lower the temperatures in their fingers and toes by twenty degrees as well as create different temperatures in different hands belonging to the same subject. The meditators told the researchers that they create those changes in a deep state of meditation. Hypnosis and certain deep states of meditation are neurologically identical.
2. A well-known documentary, filmed in the 1980’s, showed the amazing ability of a group of Tibetan monks to go out into subfreezing weather of the Himalayan Mountains, wrapped in icy, wet sheets. They never shivered but the steam was seen to be steaming off of the wet sheets within moments, becoming completely dry within an hour. These monks perform this ritual once a year, in the dead of winter, to demonstrate the ability of a disciplined mind to effect great change in the body.
3. Another example of the Mind-over-Matter phenomenon is the Placebo Effect. The Placebo Effect occurs when there is a strong belief that a treatment or procedure will work. A classic example is of a terminal cancer patient in 1957. This patient, a Mr. Wright, hounded his doctor to give him an experimental drug. The physician finally relented. Because the patient was convinced that the treatment would work, his tumor shrank like a snowball on a hot stove. When the patient learned later than the drug was completely ineffective, his tumors grew back. He died shortly thereafter.
4. “Self-Help” guru Tony Robbins teaches people to walk on hot coals without getting burned. While there are those who say that this phenomenon can be explained scientifically, it is not a feat to be brushed off lightly
For centuries, meditation had been considered the only way to achieve control over the body’s autonomic functions. However, the most cutting-edge research shows that hypnosis and self-hypnosis can accomplish the same effects in far less time than it might take someone to learn to meditate as deeply as the meditators mentioned above.
Many clinical studies carried out in the last twenty or thirty years have proven again and again that hypnosis provides a vehicle that allows the average person to take this kind of Mind-over-Matter control.
Whether your concerns involve the lowering of blood pressure, eliminating headaches, relieving IBS and other stress-related issues or are more about getting help for to overcome fear, panic attacks, or make changes to behavior, hypnosis can help when everything else has failed.
Here’s to your success…